Monday, September 19, 2011

Walking Alone is Apparently An Open Invitation

I'm not one to normally make a big deal out of things. I really don't. Especially when I go out with my friends. If we're at a bar, all I want to do is have a good time and get home in one piece (which is probably why I'm almost always the designated driver). I always laugh at the people that tend to start confrontation in a bar for whatever reason they think they have: that guy pushed me, he grabbed my butt, she was looking at me funny, she showed up with my ex..blah blah blah. The fact that I can so easily laugh at other people's so called "problems" when they're under the influence, probably doesn't say anything nice about my character. But I promised I was going to be honest, so there. I said it. 
So back to the point I was making. I don't make problems when I'm out at bars. But this night I'm about to talk about was different. This night, I just had to put my foot down. I think it was a Saturday night and as usual I had a closing shift at work. After I got out, I went to go meet up with some of my friends for my friend's birthday. As usual, I knew that since it was so late and I was in fact driving myself home that I would probably be one of the very few people in the bar that are sober. I'm used to this I guess, and I normally just shrug off stupid drunken comments that people make, especially those comments that come from out of the mouths of the male species. Back to the story.
So as I was walking from the parking lot over to the bar to meet up with my boyfriend that was standing outside with his friend, a group of guys on my side of the street starting saying stuff to me. Normally I would just keep walking. There was about six of them. Walking by myself, I wouldn't have had the balls to say anything back. But I don't know what came over me that night but I decided to say something. Maybe it was because I had just worked a super long shift and was still in my work clothes. I will not repeat what I said to their rude comments on my blog, because even though I want to be honest, I want to keep this PG. My boyfriend hears the commotion from across the street and came over to see what was going on. After explaining that he was my boyfriend, the guys apologized for what they said, but not to me. They apologized to my boyfriend for disrespecting him. (Yeah, this happened. I kid you not.)
 They didn't know that I had a boyfriend, they just assumed I was single because I was walking alone and apparently the fact that they thought I was single was supposed to make what they said to me okay. Apparently another guy barking comments at a girl in a dark parking lot is okay, as long as she's single. It doesn't matter that she's a human being, because what was that single girl walking by herself going to do? Get her nonexistent boyfriend? And do guys really just think that girls should accept the fact that they are going to get stuff said to them? Apparently it's not a form of disrespect in their eyes. Is it a compliment then? Because I didn't feel too flattered. 
So if anyone actually reads this blog, feel free to answer some of the questions above, but I really want to know the answer to these questions: 1) Why is it that a male sees degrading another guy's girlfriend as disrespectful to the guy, but not to the girl? 2) What's a girl got to do to walk across a street without getting harassed by a bunch of drunk idiots? 3)Am I overreacting?

No comments:

Post a Comment